Roasted Chicken (with vegetables)
(For 4 servings)
Prep time: 1 h 50 min
Cannot be frozen
What you’ll need
- 1 whole chicken, ~3.5 lb, trimmed with giblets removed
- 1 small apple
- 1 small orange
- 4 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 150 ml | 5 fl oz | 2/3 cup dry white wine, e. g. Root: 1 Sauvignon Blanc
freshly ground black pepper
1 Preheat oven to 350F.
2 Stuff chicken with apple and orange. Tie with butcher’s twine; you can ask and have your butcher do this for you, if preferred.
3 Arrange vegetables in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil, and season with some salt and pepper, tossing to combine.
4 Sit strung chicken on top and rub with softened butter. Season with dried herbs, salt and pepper. Pour wine around pan.
5 Roast for about 1 hour 20-30 minutes until juices run clear when thickest part of thigh is pierced; it should register at least 175F on a meat thermometer.
6 Remove from oven and loosely tent with a sheet of aluminum foil.
7 Let chicken rest for at least 10 minutes before carving and serving with vegetables.
Serve with a glass of Root: 1 Carmenère